Thursday 22 April 2010

3D Production Design2

For the second semester of 3D production Design our submission was to build, map, and texture a 3D vehicle, environment and character.


Vehicle

Vehicles were never really something i was interested in, making this part of the submission really difficult for me. I came up with my idea from looking at the shape of a jaguar's body, deciding i would like to design a motorcycle around it. My concept changed slightly since the beginning, but my finished model was that of a chopper design, with a large powerful back wheel, and a curved body. This model I am least happy with, due to my lack of skills back when i made it, if i had the time i would love to build upon it and make it better, but there are other things that i have to finish before i would consider re-doing it.












Environment

My environment i decided to base loosely around my group's entertainment design concept, and i designed a small tribal village. My original idea involved there being a lot more buildings but in order to stay under the maximum polygon count i had to try and make the whole thing a lot simpler. I completed this a lot faster than my vehicle, using techniques that i'd learned such as duplication to speed up the UV mapping process. The totem pole was the only really difficult piece of this model.






Character


For my character i was going to model a character i had designed for my Entertainment design module (the Demigod of Mischief) but dismissed this idea, for whatever reason, i don't quite remember why ^^. I decided instead to try and model a lion, a feat that i never thought i could have managed so well. Since none of my course-mates i had seen had attempted to model anything animal-based, i got really excited about this design, and spent many hours at a time trying to make it the best that i could make it. I enjoyed every minute of making this model, simply because it was something i wanted to make! Even though i encountered countless problems which caused endless anxiety, I feel that making this model showed me just how much my skills have progressed, which was satisfying indeed.




I named him Rory :D




External files: Sketchbook work

Next steps: touch up all 3 models, write reflective essay
Possible summer project: Try to get a copy of maya and continue building confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment